About Finance Earth
Finance Earth is a mission-driven investment advisor and fund manager, working in partnership with world leading environmental organisations, such as RSPB, WWF and the National Trust, to protect and restore nature utilising market-based mechanisms, implementing bespoke financial tools and creating high impact investments.
We are a pioneering employee-owned social enterprise and are now the UK’s leading environmental impact investment advisor and fund manager, with a rapidly growing international mandate, providing strategic consultancy and corporate finance advice to many of the most impactful environmental organisations in the UK and across the globe.
Our fund management activities make us one of the largest environmental impact investors in the UK. Our current funds include a £50m initiative to transfer renewable energy assets into community ownership in partnership with Power to Change and Big Society Capital; PICNIC, the UK’s first impact investment fund for urban parks and greenspace; and the Blue Impact Fund, a joint initiative with WWF-UK to deliver significant impact to UK marine environment.
We work across a wide variety of the conservation, natural and built asset sectors on projects specifically structured to deliver significant impact for the environment, local communities whilst delivering fair returns for investors. Our team of experienced professionals all excel in their given fields and innovate to meet changing trends in government policy, sources of finance and market opportunities.
Finance Earth’s mission is to help catalyse the $300 – $400 billion of global investment needed each year to protect and restore ecosystems. We have now designed over £400 million of impact funds, and our vision is to have £1 billion under management within 5 years and £500 million designed in the next 3 years.
As part of our governance and succession planning, we are seeking two new Non-Executive Directors to join our Board.
We are looking for Non-Executive Directors who want to be on the cutting edge and lead the future development of the emerging environmental impact investment market in the UK and Internationally. We seek people who are passionate about environmental impact and the opportunities to develop innovative solutions to some of society’s and the environment’s most critical issues.
Finance Earth works with some of the most dynamic and successful environmental NGOs both here in the UK and Internationally, central and local Government influencing the development of policy and funding models for the environment and an increasing number of major corporates who are pioneering new ways of investing in the protection and restoration of the environment.
This is an opportunity to use your knowledge, expertise and network to change the world for good.
Skills and experience
You will have three or more years’ experience in one or more of corporate finance, investment banking, accountancy, venture capital, private equity, management consultancy, advisory and/or project management.
It is essential that you can demonstrate experience of and an interest in, the wider environmental and conservation finance sector in your application. We ask that you share your understanding of the role of finance in tackling climate change and biodiversity loss within your covering letter.
Please note: We will also consider hiring an exceptional Analyst candidate as part of this process. Please indicate in your cover letter if you would like to be considered for an Analyst level role.
Personal attributes that we are looking for include:
- High level of integrity to fulfil the governance role and set an example to the rest of the organisation and colleagues
- Visionary and strategic thinker, recognised leader in relevant field of expertise
- Commitment to environmental sustainability and the aims of Finance Earth
- Willingness and ability to dedicate sufficient time to the role
- Prepared to put useful relationships at the disposal of Finance Earth’s mission
- A commitment to good governance and experience of how to ensure it in a regulated environment
- Brings an understanding of the value of diversity in the workplace and dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture in all aspects of working life so that people from all backgrounds receive equal treatment, realise their full potential and can bring their full, authentic selves to work
Specific Skills and Competencies that we are looking for include:
We are looking for two Non-Executive Directors, one with an Environmental Conservation background and one with a Fund Financing background;
- At least 15 years’ experience in developing, managing and successfully delivering complex multi-partner conservation programmes and projects – including their financial management
- Technical knowledge of, and experience in delivering, one or more conservation major programme areas: woodland/ peatland restoration/ creation, nature recovery, species protection and habitat creation, nature friendly farming, river/habitat restoration, natural flood management etc
- Understanding of a variety of areas of conservation science and experience of its practical application
- Strong relationships across the environmental sector, including statutory bodies and practitioner groups
- Proven experience of working in partnership with statutory bodies
- Innovation, strategic thinking and planning in developing conservation programmes
- Good problem-solving skills, a pragmatic approach to conservation
- Diplomacy, good at dealing with a variety of people, as a leader, a team worker and in dealings with the public sector at the most senior of levels
- Clear and persuasive communication: written and verbal
- At least 15 years’ experience of private funds placement, ideally coming from a placement agent or investment banking background
- Experience of working with private investors and/or family offices in impact investing / conservation investment / climate finance and delivering environmental outcomes via investment models
- Demonstrates the ability to access funding networks and communicate the mission of Finance Earth to access and mobilise institutional and family office capital into environmental impact investment models
- Desire to assist the Senior Management Team with maximising opportunities to secure diverse funding to sustain and grow Finance Earth’s specialised fund management business going forward
- Willing to work with the Managing Directors and senior staff to explore new and novel environmental investment opportunities, such as those presented by private sector investment in ecosystem services and public/ private partnerships around the delivery of the new Environment Land Management schemes
- A principled colleague, committed to the highest standards of ethical behaviour and recognises the importance of listening
The Board normally meets at least 6 times every year and you will be expected to attend a majority of these Board meetings. In addition to attendance at meetings of the Board, the Board will wish you to meet from time to time with the executive directors.
You should bring an independent, objective, and personal, judgement to bear on issues of strategy, performance and resources of the Company and/or any of its subsidiaries including key appointments and standards of conduct.
As a social enterprise business Finance Earth does not pay salary or fees for the role performed by the Non-Executive Directors, however reimbursement for expenses and access to both the Company Share Ownership Scheme (and associated dividends) and the Company’s Discretionary Bonus Scheme is available with payments to Non-Executives regularly in excess of £5,000 per year (depending on individual and company performance).
Interested in these roles?
Your application should comprise:
- A covering note of no more than two pages outlining your motivation and relevant experience for the role.
- A full CV, including educational and professional qualifications, and a full employment history showing the more significant Executive and Non-Executive positions, responsibilities held and relevant achievements.
- Daytime, evening and/or mobile telephone numbers (to be used with discretion).
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interviews in London:
- 1st Interview Stage – CFO/COO and Director.
- 2nd Interview Stage – Board Members of Finance Earth.
Thank you for your interest in the work of Finance Earth. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with Craig Parfitt on the email address above if you have any questions about this opportunity.