About Finance Earth
Finance Earth is a mission-driven investment advisor and fund manager, working in partnership with world leading environmental organisations, such as RSPB, WWF and the National Trust, to protect and restore nature utilising market-based mechanisms, implementing bespoke financial tools and creating high impact investments.
We are a pioneering employee-owned social enterprise and are now the UK’s leading environmental impact investment advisor and fund manager, with a rapidly growing international mandate, providing strategic consultancy and corporate finance advice to many of the most impactful environmental organisations in the UK and across the globe.
Our fund management activities make us one of the largest environmental impact investors in the UK. Our current funds include a £50m initiative to transfer renewable energy assets into community ownership in partnership with Power to Change and Big Society Capital; PICNIC, the UK’s first impact investment fund for urban parks and greenspace; and the Blue Impact Fund, a joint initiative with WWF-UK to deliver significant impact to UK marine environment.
We work across a wide variety of the conservation, natural and built asset sectors on projects specifically structured to deliver significant impact for the environment, local communities whilst delivering fair returns for investors. Our team of experienced professionals all excel in their given fields and innovate to meet changing trends in government policy, sources of finance and market opportunities.
Finance Earth’s mission is to help catalyse the $300 – $400 billion of global investment needed each year to protect and restore ecosystems. We have now designed over £400 million of impact funds, and our vision is to have £1 billion under management within 5 years and £500 million designed in the next 3 years.
Reporting to the Directors of Finance Earth, the Head of Advisory will lead the Advisory business unit including taking responsibility for the team and the associated portfolio of consulting and corporate finance projects. The Head of Advisory will be creative, and solutions driven, overseeing a wide range of mandates. Example projects include: global investment review of nature based solutions, development of conservation financing models in the UK, and development of landscape financing platforms across a wide range of jurisdictions, from Mediterranean basin, east coast of Africa to the Coral Triangle. There is a need for the individual to have extensive experience in consulting and client advisory, working from deal origination and development, to financial structuring and capital raising, to ongoing performance management.
The Head of Advisory will be integral in our efforts to inspire a movement and will lead a talented team to realise our mission to mobilise capital to drive positive environmental change.
This role represents a unique opportunity to achieve both significant impact locally for communities in need, and transformative, systemic change for how society looks after both the built and natural the environment at a national level.
Based in our London headquarters, this position is ideal for candidates who want to combine their prior professional investment expertise with creativity, innovation and impact.
The Head of Advisory enters the firm during a period of significant growth, with an extensive pipeline of new projects and will play a unique role in expanding our reach, accelerating product development and driving innovation. In addition to helping build the firm, this individual will help to streamline project delivery through standardising workflows and developing staff, refining existing products, developing new structures, expanding our presence in the investment community, and contributing to thought leadership in impact investing.
Key Responsibilities and Duties include:
- To be the lead on all aspects of client corporate finance, consultancy and advisory – for example on M&A; market reports and strategy reviews and investment appraisals
- Developing funding and financing structures and models for environmental impact projects covering built environment (renewable energy, sustainable development, climate finance etc) and the natural environment (nature based solutions across terrestrial and marine landscapes)
- Managing transaction processes on behalf of clients, including Funding and Finance (including Blended Finance and stacking different forms for capital), Acquisitions, Disposals, Mergers, General Fundraising, Impact Bonds and Impact Investment projects from initial client contact through to completion
- Supervise and contribute to production of financial and strategic advisory reports including financial due diligence, options appraisal and business planning
- Production of financial, risk and market analysis papers for discussion with clients
- Production of financial models and financial analysis spread sheet workings
- Production of research reports including ‘Impact’ evaluation studies for clients
- Developing new business by building a contact base and introducing new business opportunities for the team. This will include attendance at networking and other events hosted by Finance Earth and others
- To manage a strong and talented team, nurturing team culture and recruiting new talent when required and to support the training and development of staff to further build skill sets and knowledge
Further examples and information on our Advisory business can be found here: finance.earth
Are you passionate about environmental impact and opportunities to develop innovative solutions to some of society’s and the environment’s most critical issues?
Are you excited about working with dynamic and successful social enterprises and charities to increase their positive impact?
Do you demonstrate the highest levels of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation?
Do you have strong problem solving and creative skills, high levels of attention to detail, and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses?
You must have:
- 10 years of successful experience as a senior executive in an Advisory role
- FCA regulated experience in an Advisory, IB, VC or PE business
- Must have relevant Investment Advisory and/or M&A focussed consulting experience
- Strong leadership and negotiation skills
- Effective communication and management skills
- Strong proficiency with Excel, Microsoft Office, accountancy systems, and FCA process requirements
It would be an asset if you had:
- Prior experience of working within the environmental or social impact investment sector, or wider social sector working with charities and social enterprises
- Understanding of impact investment market in the UK, the wider Global Climate, Green and Social Finance sectors and markets
- Relevant qualification in Accounting or Finance, MBA, CFA, etc highly desirable
- Proven track record in developing and managing teams, consultants and multiple assignments
- Experienced at managing financial transaction processes such as fund raising, disposals, acquisitions and mergers, or similar project development and funding processes.
- Experienced in working with clients in the environmental and charity sector, demonstrating a clear understanding of their needs and issues
- Experience in developing or investing in natural capital projects and related markets, such as voluntary carbon offsets
- Strong financial modelling skills, and experience of reviewing financial models
- Demonstrable interest in and, commitment to the sectors in which we work and support for the partners we work with.
Our people are our business; we work hard to ensure that they have fulfilling careers and a good work/ life balance. We encourage training to make sure our staff are equipped to do their jobs to the best of their abilities and offer flexible working and generous holidays so that staff can both meet client expectations and personal goals.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Finance Earth can provide a superior experience for building and maintaining a professional career in finance – a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow whilst delivering work that is highly impactful and beneficial for our planet. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
As a Social Enterprise, our salary scale is currently capped at £70,000 with the Co-Founders and Directors all earning no more than this level. We aim to improve this over time as the business grows (having increased this twice since inception). We are proud that the ratio of the salaries of the highest to lowest paid person in our business is less than 3:1 and we pay at least the London Living Wage to all employees, interns and trainees.
Opportunity to earn £100,000+
Your Package will include:
- Base Salary up to £70,000
- Up to 30% of Salary Discretionary Bonus and Christmas Bonus of up to £1,000
- Potential Share of Annual Dividend (see below)
- 25 Days Holiday (plus Bank Holiday and 2-3 extra days for Christmas week)
- Potential for Flexible Working
We are an employee owned social enterprise, and after 12 months of working for us every employee is eligible to become an employee shareholder if they demonstrate the qualities of an owner. With that comes the rights attached with being a shareholder, including involvement in key decisions and annual dividends linked to the profitability of the business. Finance Earth has a strong track record and has maintained profitability every year since inception despite challenging market circumstances. As such the annual dividend has grown as a meaningful part of the remuneration of our team.
How to Apply
If you think that you are the right person for this important role in our business, please apply by sending:
- A comprehensive CV
- A cover letter that includes as a minimum:
- A summary of the relevant experience you will be bringing to this role; and
- A personal statement on why you believe the work being undertaken by Finance Earth is necessary and what areas you are particularly interested in
Applications that do not include a cover letter will be immediately discounted.
Applications to be sent to Daniel.Kelner@goodmanmasson.com
Finance Earth is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the disciplines in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.