Does the idea of creating investments which protect and restore nature excite you? We are looking for an Analyst to join our leading environmental investment and fund management team to develop innovative solutions to society’s and the environment’s most critical issues. Our team works with leading environmental organisations internationally to create investment structures that deliver benefits for nature, communities and investors.
About Finance Earth
Finance Earth is the UK’s leading environmental impact investment advisor and fund manager. We work with some of the leading environmental organisations, such as WWF, the National Trust, RSPB and DEFRA, to design and implement innovative financing solutions for the natural and built environment. We have designed more than £500 million of blended environmental impact fund structures and manage more than £50 million of our own impact investment funds. We are a mission driven, employee-owned social enterprise that plays a prominent role in the green finance market in the UK and internationally.
We have grown rapidly since our establishment in 2016. We are highly regarded in our market, with an industry leading reputation for delivery, independent advice, strategic and innovative thinking and an envied track record in developing and funding environmental impact projects and investment funds.
Examples of our work can be found on our website: Finance.Earth
We are looking to recruit an Analyst to help our growing environmental impact investment advisory and transaction team. The role offers the chance to work with market leading clients on the cutting edge of the emerging conservation investment market in the UK and internationally, and to become a recognised expert in the field. We are also investors in our people, offering the opportunity for both technical and soft skills development, and unique experiences to grow both professionally and personally.
A key part of the role will be to work alongside the Finance Earth team to develop and scale up the Greater Manchester Environment Fund, formed in 2020 through a partnership between Finance Earth, the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (“GMCA”) and Lancashire Wildlife Trust to unite public, private and philanthropic funders and partners in a mission to tackle urgent environmental challenges facing the city region.
Finance Earth is the Investment Advisory Partner to the Greater Manchester Environment Fund leading on the development of innovative investment models that support natural capital projects. Thanks to funding secured through Defra’s Green Recovery Challenge Fund, the partnership is seeking to appoint a dedicated Investment Analyst to support Finance Earth and the GMEF Programme Manager within Lancashire Wildlife Trust to develop and implement an exciting portfolio of investment opportunities. The role will help develop opportunities to mobilise additional investment into the GMEF and share learnings across the Green Recovery Challenge Fund partnership on alternative ways of financing Greater Manchester’s natural capital.
The Investment Analyst will play a leading role in building capabilities, capacity and drive in environmental impact investment in Greater Manchester, as well as supporting Finance Earth with its conservation investments in the UK and globally.
With a choice to be based in Finance Earth’s London headquarters or in and around Greater Manchester, the Investment Analyst role offers flexibility for candidates who want to combine their prior professional investment expertise with creativity, innovation and impact.
The Analyst will be expected to support Finance Earth on a portfolio of projects including:
- Support the development of a range of natural capital investment projects and opportunities, covering:
- Review and assessment of natural capital revenue and investment model opportunities.
- Prepare business plans and financial models.
- Prepare investor pitchbooks.
- Impact measurement and reporting.
- Carry out industry research (e.g. carbon markets, nature-based solutions markets, biodiversity net gain).
- Share learning to project partners in Greater Manchester on natural capital investment opportunities.
- Contributing to our mission by:
- Identifying and pitching for new opportunities
- Create publications to highlight key sectors / investment themes.
- Attend industry events and develop a network of contacts.
- Supporting with recruitment, marketing, IT and other business operations
Skills and experience
You will have one to three years’ work experience post graduating, or three to five years work experience post school in one or more of corporate finance, investment banking, accountancy, venture capital, private equity, management consultancy, the environmental sector, and/or project management.
It is essential that you can demonstrate experience of and an interest in, the wider environmental and conservation finance sector in your application. We ask that you share your understanding of the role of finance in tackling climate change and biodiversity loss within your covering letter.
Personal attributes that we are looking for include:
- Enthusiastic self-starter and strong team player;
- A willingness to present ideas to peers and senior colleagues;
- Excellent communication and relationship building capabilities;
- Inquisitive and analytical approach to problem solving;
- Ability to operate in a dynamic working environment, handling multiple tasks and deadlines;
- Highly committed with the ability to take ownership of projects and to create meaningful value for the long-term;
- We are a small team who work hard and have fun, so you’ll need energy, enthusiasm and be able to work well independently where required.
Specific Skills and Competencies that we are looking for include:
- Business planning and analysis
- Financial modelling and sensitivity analysis
- Experience working with the environmental sector and/or charities and social enterprises
- Experience of structuring and executing financial transactions for small and medium sized businesses
- Experience in project management, client delivery, research and presentation, problem solving, business coaching and mentoring
- Proficient writing capability and presentation skills
- Well-developed analytical skills including the ability to assimilate complex information, identify and prioritise key issues
- Strong IT skills, proficient in Microsoft Office.
We do not expect candidates to possess all these skills and competencies, importantly what we are looking for is someone who can creatively show how their skills and experience could be adapted to fit this profile, if/where there are gaps.
Our people are our business; we work hard to ensure that they have fulfilling careers and a good work/ life balance. We encourage training to make sure our staff are equipped to do their jobs to the best of their abilities and offer flexible working and generous holidays so that staff can both meet client expectations and personal goals.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Finance Earth can provide a superior experience for building and maintaining a professional career in finance – a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow whilst delivering work that is highly impactful and beneficial for our planet. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
- Base salary of £25,000 – £30,000 per annum
- Up to 30% of Salary Discretionary Bonus and Christmas Bonus of up to £1,000
- 25 days holiday plus 2-3 days free at Christmas (plus English bank holidays)
- Potential for remote or flexible working
- Opportunity to become a shareholder after 12 months with a potential dividend allowance
- Generous training budgets with learning and continuous improvement as a critical element of the way we work. We will support you with individual development, both through external training and coaching from members of the executive team
- Opportunity to progress rapidly
How to Apply
If you think that you are the right person for this important role in our business, please apply by sending:
- A comprehensive CV
- A cover letter that includes as a minimum:
- A summary of the relevant experience you will be bringing to this role; and
- A personal statement on why you believe the work being undertaken by Finance Earth is necessary to tackle climate change and biodiversity loss, highlighting areas of specific interest.
Applications that do not include a cover letter will be immediately discounted.
Finance Earth is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative team is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the disciplines in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
Applications should be submitted directly to email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 12th April 2021