About Finance Earth
Finance Earth is a mission-driven investment advisor and fund manager, working in partnership with world leading environmental organisations, such as RSPB, WWF, and the National Trust, to protect and restore nature, and tackle climate change utilising market-based mechanisms, implementing bespoke financial tools and creating high impact investments.
We are a pioneering employee-owned social enterprise and are now the UK’s leading environmental impact investment advisor and fund manager, with a rapidly growing international mandate, providing strategic consultancy and corporate finance advice to many of the most impactful environmental organisations in the UK and across the globe. We have designed, manage or co-manage over £500m of investment funds with ambitions to have over £1 billion under management in the next 5 years.
We work across a wide variety of the conservation, natural and built asset sectors on projects specifically structured to deliver significant impact for the environment and local communities whilst delivering fair returns for investors. Our team of experienced professionals all excel in their given fields and innovate to meet changing trends in government policy, sources of finance and market opportunities.
Examples of our work can be found here.
Reporting to the Managing Directors of Finance Earth, the Director of Advisory will co-lead the Advisory business including overall responsibility for the management of the team and the associated portfolio of consulting and corporate finance projects, in addition to winning new business.
Based in our London headquarters, this position is ideal for candidates who want to combine their prior corporate finance expertise with creativity, innovation and impact.
The Director of Advisory enters the firm during a period of significant growth, with an extensive pipeline of new projects and will play a unique role in expanding our reach, accelerating product development and driving innovation. In addition to helping build the firm, this individual will help to streamline project delivery through standardising workflows and developing staff, refining existing products, developing new structures, expanding our presence in the investment community, and contributing to thought leadership in impact investing. The role offers the chance to work with market leading clients on the cutting edge of the emerging conservation investment market in the UK and internationally.
Director of Advisory will be expected to:
- Actively manage client relationships, taking responsibility for leading teams and delivery of Advisory assignments. This will include assuming responsibility for managing all phases of advisory projects: project origination, proposal development, stakeholder engagement, analysis of the investment potential of various nature-based or green infrastructure solutions, financial modelling, presentations, and report writing.
- Provide oversight of quality of deliverables including providing overall direction on corporate finance advisory support for the team
- Direct and manage the team, and support staff on strategic advisory projects, with a particular focus on coaching and contributing to the on-the-job development of team members.
- Lead business development efforts including pitching for new work and building and maintaining relationships with a wide range of public, social, corporate entities and financial institutions.
- Oversee and lead product development and refinement, for example: habitat banking models, environmental impact bonds, social and environmental impact investment funds etc.
- Lead on strategic direction of the advisory business, including allocation of resources, staff learning and development, growth opportunities, and other areas.
- Provide guidance to the team on Finance Earth’s talent management efforts via recruiting, coaching, goal setting, mentoring, and ongoing performance management.
- Lead on developing Finance Earth’s thought leadership and policy influencing, representing Finance Earth at conferences and events and with government and related decision makers, and writing thought leadership articles etc.
Examples and information on our Advisory business can be found here: Advisory – Finance Earth
Skills and experience
- 10+ years of successful experience as a senior manager in a finance or consulting role with specific experience in corporate finance
- Experience in a corporate finance advisory, investment banking, venture capital or private equity firm, with strong financial modelling skills, and experience of reviewing financial models
- Proven track record in winning new business and contributing to business development
- Strategy development and implementation
- Strong leadership skills
- An entrepreneurial personality – welcoming the challenge of helping to create and develop new projects, products and funds that will be at the forefront of a developing impact investment market;
- A track record of project execution across all phases of the transaction cycle from origination to completion;
- Self-motivated, ability to work to and meet tight deadlines and to plan and organise work unsupervised in a logical and efficient manner;
- Commitment to high quality standards with a detail-oriented approach;
- Ability to operate consistently within business guidelines and ethics and work sensitively in multicultural environments, building effective working relations with clients and colleagues;
- Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written formats, appropriate to the specific audience, and confidence in engaging with senior stakeholders;
- Computer literacy and excellent written/oral communication skills in English
- Experience leading and growing a team
- Qualification in Accounting or Finance, MBA, and or CFA
- Experience in working with clients in the environmental and charity sector, demonstrating a clear understanding of their needs and priorities
- Experience in developing or investing in natural capital projects and related markets
Our people are our business; we work hard to ensure that they have fulfilling careers and a good work-life balance. We encourage training to make sure our staff are equipped to do their jobs to the best of their abilities and offer flexible working and generous holidays so that staff can both meet client expectations and personal goals.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence, and strong team ethic. Finance Earth can provide a superior experience for building and maintaining a professional career – a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow whilst delivering work that is highly impactful and beneficial for our planet. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
We are also investors in our people, offering the opportunity for both technical and soft skills development, and unique experiences to grow both professionally and personally.
As a social enterprise, we have developed a transparent salary scale which is currently capped at £80,000 as the maximum base salary. The Co-Founders and Directors are all paid the same salary. We aim to increase the max over time as the business grows (having increased this twice since inception). We are proud that the ratio of the salaries of the highest to lowest paid person in our business is less than 3:1 and we pay at least the London Living Wage to all employees, interns and trainees.
Opportunity to earn up to £113,000
Your Package will include:
- Base Salary up to £80,000
- Up to 40% of Salary Discretionary Bonus and Christmas Bonus of up to £1,000
- Potential Share of Annual Dividend (see below)
- 25 Days Holiday (plus Bank Holiday and 2-3 extra days for Christmas week)
- Generous training budgets with learning and continuous development as a critical element of the way we work
- Private medical insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- 3% Pension Contribution
- Season Ticket Loans, Bike Scheme, etc
We are an employee owned social enterprise, and after 12 months of working for us every employee is eligible to become an employee shareholder if they demonstrate the qualities of an owner. With that comes the rights attached with being a shareholder, including involvement in key decisions and annual dividends linked to the profitability of the business. Finance Earth has a strong track record and has maintained profitability every year since inception despite challenging market circumstances. As such the annual dividend has grown as a meaningful part of the remuneration of our team.
How to Apply
If you think that you are the right person for this important role in our business, please apply by sending:
- A comprehensive CV
- A cover letter that includes:
- A summary of the relevant experience you will be bringing to this role; and
- Your interest in Finance Earth
Applications that do not include a cover letter are not considered.
Applications to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Finance Earth is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the disciplines in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.